Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Thanks Mom!

This is my first post typed into my NEW LAPTOP.  Woo hoo!  This is a birthday present from my mom.  She got it for me on Saturday.  It's very nice.  It's a Toshiba, 14" screen.  I wanted to go smaller than the one I had before, the STOLEN one.  That one had a 17" screen.  Although the big screen was nice it was a bit bulky and quite a bit heavier than smaller models.  The processor is an AMD Turion duo-core RM-72.  The RM-72 runs at 2.1 GHz vs. the stolen one that had a duo-core that ran at 1.6 GHz.  It also has 4 GB of RAM, twice the memory of the stolen one.  So it's quite an upgrade.  I did have a problem with it though.  On Monday while watching a DVD I got the dreaded Blue Screen of Death and the screen went blank.  I've seen this problem before.  It's a hardware failure.  So I took it back to Circuit City and exchanged it for another one, same model.  I'm quite pleased.  THANKS MOM!

I was pondering getting another HP.  Mom and Bryan both have HPs and they've served them faithfully.  But I had a few problems with my stolen HP.  Twice the motherboard failed and had to be sent back to the factory.  Then last week on The Tech Guy, a caller was asking Leo, the host, about his opinions on laptops and Leo was adamant about dislike for HP laptops, especially the Pavilion line.  One of the techie guys at work had a pretty low opinion of Pavilions, too, so I decided to stay away this time.  Jess and Karen have had pretty good success with their Toshibas so that swayed me.

Although overtime has returned at work starting tomorrow I'm taking the day off.  Imani has started complaining about having shortness of breath and tightness in her chest so I'm going to try to get Kaiser to squeeze her in tomorrow.

I haven't been blogging as much lately because I got hooked again on Dicing Dangers.  DD is an online multi-player role-playing game, or MMORPG for short.  The popular MMORPG these days is World of Warcraft.  I think they charge $13-15 a month to play.  A few years ago the hot MMORPG was Everquest.  People would get so addicted to this game some referred to it as "Evercrack".  DD is a little different than the latter two.  It's almost all text with a few static pictures.  It doesn't rely on quick reflexes or a powerful computer to run it.  It can be played at a very leisurely pace.  The game lets you set up a free account with two playable characters.  Each character is given about 60-90 minutes of game play per day.  For a small amount of money extra play time can be purchased.  

Players can form clans.  Both my characters belong to a clan known as the "Elite Gonrah Order".   Gonrah is the name of the world this game is set in.  We have actually become a pretty tight knight clan.  There's perhaps 30 of us in the clan.  I'm only one of perhaps two or three Americans in the group.  Most of my other "clannies" are in Europe and Australia.  It's pretty neat.

If you're interested go ahead and create a free account.  Click on this link so the creator knows I referred you.  And be sure to let me know.  We always are very helpful to new players, or noobs.  The only reason I'm blogging right now and not playing is because the game server's down.

By the way, my birthday's Sunday, the 26th.  It's not too late to send me a present!

No comments: