Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Crate Training Continues

Karen started working a part-time schedule today. We both start work at 8:30 am but she gets to go home at 12:30. While she's working this schedule it's the perfect opportunity to do a little extended crate training for Zoe and Charlie. It would be impractical to have them crated the entire day, but 4-5 hours? That's a little more reasonable. We may try this tomorrow.

They've both been crated for a few minutes twice today. Neither one of them really liked it. I may not be making their crates comfortable enough on the inside. Karen suggested putting small blankets in. They both have doggy beds that both fit inside the crates but I'm afraid the the beds take up so much space they won't be able to move around inside very well.

Soon we will have to face the first time they'll have to be crated all night. I'm not looking forward to it. They'll both cry. They'll both whine. But, of course, it's when they're whining and crying that we must be the most cold-hearted. This is definitely one "this is gonna hurt me more than it hurts you" scenarios.

These two have such a funny relationship. They really do act like big sister-annoying little brother. Charlie can be a really a little shit sometimes. The only time he barks is when he's barking at Zoe, trying to get her to play with him. Zoe absolutely thinks of herself as the alpha. Whenever she sees me giving Charlie my full attention she rushes over and either pushes him out of the way or stands directly over him like any alpha dog should. Yes, she's definitely jealous of him, but Karen and I make sure she gets more than her fair share of attention.

One new thing I have learned about puppies is that they're not supposed to be let outside or around strange dogs until they've received all their shots. That kind of took me by surprise. I had no idea their immune systems were so vulnerable.


No comments: