Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ode to my Little Mutt, Charlie

Today my mind is mostly on my little baby boy, Charlie. He's growing up in a big way tomorrow. He will be earning his dogtags.

He will officially be able to accompany Zoe and me on walks and at the dog park. He will be receiving the last of his vaccinations. He's getting his microchip implanted. This will make him eligible to be registered with the County, and he will be. Finally, he will be neutered. As I write this Charlie is now spending the last 24 hours of his testicles being attached to his little body. I know this is a good thing (his little doggy penis has been coming out to say 'hello' far too often lately).

I know that what I am doing is all part of being a responsible dog owner. I know that it's only for his own good, and for the good of dogs in general. But I've never before had a dog I needed to have fixed. I didn't know that when he comes home he will have a cone around his neck. I know there will be some stiches and some residual pain, too. I don't like to think about my little boy being in discomfort like that.


I hope he won't be mad at me. I hope you won't be too upset that you can't play with your big sister as much for a little while. I hope you know your daddy loves you. And your momma. Even your big sister, Zoe.

I'll make it up to you. We'll go on your first walk soon.



Posted by Picasa

No comments: